Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Dust in the Wind.......

What a gorgeous day here at the cottage!
The sun is shining, and the temps are actually out of the teens.
I understand that some of you are tired of the weather...the cold, wind, and snow.

I'm not going to pretend to love the cold. I'm more of a summer person.
I LOVE sunshine, the beach, and the sun dancing off the water like diamonds.

There were days when I was unable to enjoy the warmth of the sun on my skin. 
I couldn't take a walk in the rain.
Building a snowman with my girls wasn't possible.
Life was spent lying in bed...day after day...listening to my little girls playing in the yard, laughing, running, growing, without my eyes to watch them.

I would have given anything to be able to just get up, and go outside for a snowball fight with them.
Or lay in the cold snow to make snow angels, and let the snowflakes fall on our faces. 

There WERE times when we could spend moments together. It's not like I NEVER had time with my family.
What I am trying to say is......I understand how it is for the people that long for more "time".
How they cherish those moments they had with loved ones....like the time the girls and I laid on a blanket on the grass late one night, to watch the meteor showers.
Those times of joy that  may never come again.

Because you've been diagnosed with a terminal disease.
You no longer care how cold it is outside.
It doesn't matter if the wind is howling, and the snow is two feet deep.
What difference does it make that Spring is still six weeks away??!!
You can barely breath on your own.  You would gladly face another THREE snow storms if you could just have more time with your loved ones.
And to think, just last Summer you were one of the people complaining how hot, and humid it was.
You couldn't wait until Fall arrived so you could put on a pair of jeans, and a nice fuzzy sweater. 

Life is so fragile.
Time is short.
We are all here for just a moment, and then we are dust in the wind.
Don't waste your today's grabbing for tomorrow...because tomorrow brings you closer to departing this life.
2014 is the year I am seeking a joyful life.
For me....joy is a decision, not always a feeling.
Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fullness of joy: at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. Psalms.16:11 

10 comments:

  1. You are so right Debbie, life is indeed fragile. Thank you for reminding us to really live each day to the fullest. That must have been so tough not being able to always participate when your girls were little. I love, love, love your birdcage with the dishes inside, it's gorgeous, and such a great idea! I also adore the one with the pedestal on your table. Where oh where did you find these beauties? Big hugs to you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the blessing of this post. It's so easy to lose track of the most important times in our life. I didn't know that you are so ill, my prayers will be there for you and yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fine, Mary Anne. I was ill when my girls were growing up.
    I was referring to others in my post. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.
    I appreciate your kind comment.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed this reminder! I need to read something like this when I get impatient! Thank you!!! xoxo Your birdcage is just so pretty, would I ever love to 'snoop' in your house!!! Is that wall paper in the background? It's lovely! I hope you found my email today :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so true Debbie, thank you!
    I love your new header!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't tell you how wonderful I think this post is Debbie!!! To live each day 'choosing joy' is a gift we give ourselves. No matter the things that are happening 'to us' it is still a choice, if we have the courage to choose it.
    What a beautiful post to read this morning. Thank you for blessing me today dear!
    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  7. so true Debbie ! love that psalm and love the tale of you watching the meteor showers ...so nice ..... enjoy a leisurely weekend...Gail x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there Debbie! Remember me LOL! Ever since starting to work, I am struggling to keep up with blogging. But when I get a chance I sneak over and see what my blogging friends are up to.

    I love the reminder in this post to take one day at a time and enjoy it. Sometimes I feel like I'm on the hamster wheel going round and round. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to listen to your girls play while you were so ill. I'm so glad you beat that nasty cancer and are with us today!

    Your dining room is as lovely as ever and I'm crazy about those wire cloches! Take care my sweet friend. Someday we will meet again...if I can ever get out of this hamster wheel!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think going through painful hard times makes us more compassionate and appreciative for the sweet moments. Sounds like you have been through something like that. It's good to get a prod not to be stuck in negative places and to be appreciative of this moment in time...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete