Friday, November 7, 2014

Take time to react.

I don't know about you, but I used to react to situations on impulse.
If someone said something to hurt me, I instantly went on the defensive, and acted out.
It took years to understand that taking time to think things through was a better way.

I understand that people say things out of anger, and hurt feelings.
They feel the need to lash out.
The louder they yell, the better they feel.

Especially if they can do it in front of others.
They make a direct hit!
It helps relieve their own pain.

The world tells me to be ruthless, and quick to react in return.
If I'm called the name, then play the game, right?
Wrong.


*I ask for your forgiveness for making you so angry with me that you felt like you needed to say what you did, the way you did it.
I ask God to help me slow down when reacting to you so that I may treat you with compassion, love, and truth.

For the Lord is compassionate, gracious, and slow to anger. He is abundant in faithful love, and truth. Psalm 86:15.

By not making judgments, but slowly and deliberately acting with tenderness, and self-control, we will bring honor to God.
We will build the people up around us, and keep conflict from building.

I don't see that as being self-righteous.
I see that as trying to be proactive, and doing God's will.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God. Rom.3:23.
I'm sorry for your loss, dear one.  The Lord look with favor on you and give you peace. Numbers 6:26.
xoxoxo

13 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie, I loved this post. It is so true. Our candle won't burn brighter by blowing someone else's out. ...Together our candles can make a better light. Your pictures are very nice. I am wishing you a wonderful weekend filled with love and warmth. Love, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, Debbie. I was always the opposite way. I usually didn't say anything no matter how badly someone hurt my feelings. I would take it but would "get even" by sharp remarks with sarcastic overtones. Not a good thing at all. Now, I calmly tell someone when they hurt my feelings or have been unjust. Unless it is my husband and then all bets are off.....lol xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually try to remind myself not to bring myself down to their level. :-)

    I also remember reading someplace that God puts difficult people in our lives so we can learn from the situation and also to help them in some way. But I'll be honest, I don't always feel the love and want to help them. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was younger I did the same thing. It took many years for me to change and think differently, but I am glad that I did. Just wish I had done it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My primary reason, for wishing to not wildly react to perceived unkindness, is that my upsetting reaction, simply makes the whole thing, worse for me.

    In other words, I don't wish to play-along-with-the-unkind-person, by "rillllllling" myself up. If I do that, to myself, she wins doubly. No, No. No.

    Not to say that I have mastered this ability. Hehhhhhhh... Not to say that at all.

    But it is my Ideal.

    Getting-my-dander-up, hurts me. I don't need any rules, to try to avoid this.

    Gentle hugs,
    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been very good at listening to criticism. I immediately become defensive. But I too have seen that there is a pause now. Time to think. Perhaps their comment has some truth to it. Perhaps not. But pausing and thinking before responding makes all the difference.
    I hope you have a lovely weekend, dear Debbie.
    xoxo,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear your heart Debbie. I was more like Diana too, closing up rather than lashing out, closing out the person who hurt me. When it all built up too much though I would burst like a damn, stunning the poor soul who I vented my bottled up anger on.

    I too have learned better...I think that comes with experience as we realize how much we also hurt ourselves and our witness when we lash back. Praying for healing for you dear friend, and a mending of relationships.

    Blessings, Deborah

    ReplyDelete

  8. Yes, always better to evaluate the situation being non-judgement, than to quickly over react out of passion and hurt feelings. I've learned this lesson slowly over the years, I guess it's true "with age comes wisdom". Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry Debbie, crazy iPad it was meant to read non- judgemental.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wise words from someone who walks the path. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post Debbie. So true it is hard to not be emotional and react quickly. I think life is a special journey and all things that happen with us are meant to teach us something. Great words of wisdom today.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post! I agree with your true words. Have a great week.
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well said, Debbie! It is hard sometimes to not over react, or to take things that people do or say personally. So often, I think if someone is mean or rude to us, it speaks volumes about "them", and really has nothing to do with us!!

    ReplyDelete